Plymouth Estates at Mount Sinai

Plymouth Estates at Mount Sinai, New York is a gated, 55+ community located along Long Island’s scenic North Shore with 285-attached units nestled around five beautifully landscaped ponds and walking trails.

These were some of the challenges we faced:

  • Massive snow removal damage
  • Mulch piled up against the base of trees and shrubs
  • 752 dead plants and shrubs needed to be removed and replaced
  • Invasive grass grew rampant throughout the community
  • Front entrance needed planting
  • Overgrown bushes and shrubs around the entire community
  • Diseased and Insect Infested Trees
  • Compacted Soil
  • 3 miles of Natural path that runs through the entire community completely overrun by grass and weeds and disappearing because of neglect.

When we start working with a new community, first thing’s first—the management team performs a thorough walk-through of the entire property assessing and prioritizing the needs for the upcoming season. After our assessment we were able to formulate a regular, consistent maintenance schedule, working closely with the HOA Board and their Landscape Committee. A long-term plan was prepared that addressed all of the concerns in the bulleted list above.

WE DID IT ALL… without breaking the budget!

The first challenge was to repair the damage incurred by the previous company during snow removal operations. The property was not adequately staked or marked resulting in plow trucks and skid steers, ripping up chunks of grass and rows of Belgium blocks.

THE SOLUTION…After examining the damage, we compiled a comprehensive report of all the affected areas and proceeded to repair what was required… Belgium blocks and driveways, shrub and grass areas, adding topsoil/seed and grading where needed.

Trees and shrubs throughout the community had mulch piled against the base, leaving many trees dead. This is often called “volcanoing” which chokes and eventually kills the tree. Immediate action needed to be taken.

THE SOLUTION…We systematically removed all mulch piled against the trees and shrubs enabling healthy growth. We also removed an entire dump truck full of mulch at the front entrance because it was prohibiting us from installing summer annuals.

There were approximately 750 dead bushes and shrubs that needed to be removed and replaced. The biggest challenge here was the project’s limited budget. We had to figure out how to get 750 dead plants removed and then replaced without replacing bush for bush… which would have been too costly. So we had to get creative…

THE SOLUTION…Together with the community’s Landscape Committee, we surveyed every individual unit. All dead shrubbery and stumps were removed. Then, keeping within the HOA’s budget, plants and shrubs were chosen for their hardiness and beauty. Bare areas were transformed into lush green areas, creating curb appeal for every unit.

Seedlings from perennial grasses previously installed by the builder spread throughout the community. The grass was allowed to continue growing season after season, ultimately overwhelming the entire property. The HOA members lost all hope of ever being rid of it.

THE SOLUTION…Having dealt with this problem in the past, we understood immediate action was required and we knew exactly what to do. In order to completely remove the invasive grass, an aggressive procedure was planned, a letter was sent to all the residents explaining what we were doing and why, and then we got to work.

A “Total Kill” herbicide was sprayed on the invasive grass which also killed some of the desirable grass, leaving many bare spots. We thatched and raked out the dead grass then started reseeding, adding topsoil where necessary. After a short while, the community once again had a lawn to be proud of exceeding the HOA’s expectations.

The front entrance needed a complete overhaul. Dead trees and poorly maintained planting beds were the first thing you saw when driving up.

THE SOLUTION…We cleaned up and redesigned the entrance utilizing over 1200 flowering annuals—giving it a “wow” factor and showcasing the beauty of the property.

Diseased and malnourished trees loaded with insects lined the front of the clubhouse and throughout the entire community.

THE SOLUTION…After our team diagnosed the problem, we implemented a comprehensive tree and shrub care program. All of the affected trees were sprayed and unhealthy, dead branches were pruned away. We were able to save the majority of the trees, saving the community tens of thousands of dollars in removal and replacement costs.

Continuing challenges…
Like so many communities throughout Long Island, rich topsoil is scraped away during the construction phase unearthing mostly clay.

If we were going to improve the health and vitality of the lawn, trees and shrubs we needed to improve the soil conditions as well — as they say, “it all starts from the ground up”! We are in the process of reconditioning the soil improving the overall health and appearance of the entire property.

One of the nicest features of Plymouth Estate is its winding 3-mile walking path. Due to years of neglect, parts have become completely overgrown.

In an ongoing effort we are in the process of rehabilitating and clearing the path, making it once again into a valuable asset for the community.